An instinct that is normal in all nearly pregnant moms is known as "nesting", basically to get their home ready and organize things in their space for the welcoming of their new tiny buddy.
Nesting typically occurs as a burst of energy for some women as early as six months into their pregnancy, and most commonly in the third trimester. There is no scientific evidence that it is a sign of labor for a mother. According to American Pregnancy Association, Nesting During Pregnancy, "not all pregnant women experience the nesting instinct". If this is the case, don't be alarmed; it's completely normal.
In This Article
- What is nesting in pregnancy?
- Guide while nesting during pregnancy
- What are the benefits of nesting for a mom and a baby?
- How can dads help their partners while nesting?
What is about nesting in pregnancy?
Nesting during pregnancy is a mother's eagerness to get things in order before the baby arrives. It can happen to both humans and animals, which is why it is natural for them to feel secure and prepared for what is about to happen. A mother nesting tends to get organized, clean the house thoroughly, and gather all of the necessary items for her baby. It is a way for them to promote a healthier environment for their children.
The nesting instinct should not be regarded as a medical condition or disorder. Don't be concerned about nesting if you're at ease relaxing and focusing on your work rather than nesting. Pregnant women face a variety of situations and scenarios. Some are not permitted to nest due to physical conditions and limitations. Also, keep in mind that nesting is a normal thing to do. It is not a requirement. There's nothing to worry about as long as you're comfortable during your pregnancy.
Guide while nesting during pregnancy
While nesting may require additional time, effort, and energy, it is critical to remember the tiny human inside of you. Take it slowly and don't overdo it on your own. Here are some pointers to help you find a good nest.
- The first step is to prepare yourself before doing anything. Check that you are not in any dangerous situations. Reading can help you decide what to do first, or it can serve as a checklist to complete before you begin, allowing you to better manage your time and energy.
- Remove all unnecessary things which are not essential. Anything worthless can fill a lot of space in your child’s room. Don't forget to ask for help, specifically when things are too heavy to remove.
- Prep all the baby stuff on your checklist. After shopping for baby needs, remove all the tags from the baby clothes and wash them all.
- Organize and decorate the nursery. Finishing the nursery room decor is a fun way of nesting and a great advantage at the same time. Getting the crib ready along with the washed crib sheets, blanket, and sanitizing all the decorations is kind of a chore.
- Packing a hospital bag and finalizing your birth plan. Having a birth plan is imperative for you and your providers to get things ahead of time.
Red Rock Fertility on their article What is Nesting? Tips for Nesting During Pregnancy also listed down tips to avoid burnout or injury during nesting stage.
What are the benefits of nesting for a mom and a baby?
Nesting during pregnancy allows a mother and her child to spend time indulging their desire to prepare. It fulfills the mother's responsibility to create a safe and healthy environment for her child. Cleaning and organizing can be therapeutic for some pregnant women, especially if they are dealing with anxiety and depression without going overboard. Furthermore, it is a good bond for other family members to express their support to the mother and child, which provides a calm environment and peace of mind for both parties.
How can dads help their partners while nesting?
When a mother is nesting during pregnancy, a father must play an important role in spending quality time with her.
Nonetheless, emotional support and extra preparation are required. It can also help to strengthen relationships by praising and complimenting them. As a partner, father, and husband, you must understand that they cannot do it all on their own. You can perform heavy tasks like lifting and bending down in their place. Try to get involved and make it as simple as possible for them to achieve their goal for your child. How to Support your Partner's Nesting during Pregnancy by Lance Green also offers great advice for couple.
Pregnancy is really a challenging moment of every mother’s and father’s journey. Enjoying this part of life can make it less frightening too. As what the saying goes “Whether your pregnancy was meticulously planned, medically coaxed, or happened by surprise, one thing is certain—your life will never be the same.”
Here in Panvola, we have amazing mugs that can be perfect to give as a gift for your wife, mother or a friend who is pregnant. Check out our moms mugs here.